2014년 11월 10일 월요일

Week Eleven - Cyberpunk and Steampunk

I think steampunk is really interesting and attractive theme in books and movies. Actually I have watched Laputa, Castle in the Sky, which represents steampunk animation in Japan. This animation is based on the world when it was late of 19th century and industrial revolution was happened. Also, I have watched The Good, the Bad, The Weird which released in Korea and this movie is also based on steampunk. For this week, I read The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. The story of The Anubis Gates is about time travel, magic, and romance. When I was little, my fantasy was all about time travel and that's why I was attracted by this book. Honestly it was hard to understand to me when I read this book at first because there are so many characters and the novel's setting jumps from place to place throughout the entire novel, as well as from time to timeand all description and expression are so detailed. But the more I read, the more interested I become. The main character, Brendan Doyle is a literary professor and he is hired by Cochran Darrow who is a rich and powerful man. He travels back in time but he is kidnapped, and left behind in 1810, where he is forced to beg for food and money. He has gone through all sort of hardships and finally he got freedom to live out his life as he chooses. So The Anubis Gates is a great book for people who have dreamed about time travel.


The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Laputa, Castle in the Sky

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기